June 12, 2010

Need a project?


Try this...



My friend Lindsay and I have been into sewing lately, and its so fun creating stuff! We're really into bedding, so the other day we made this flannel strip rag quilt for our good friend who just had a baby, and let me tell ya, it was SO EASY! And its super cute! Interested? Here's the directions:

Choose your fabric. You'll need 5 different fabrics.
note: make sure you preshrink the fabric before cutting!!!

-Middle accent fabric: 7/8 yard
-1st light fabric (in our case, we chose the darker fabrics): 1 1/4 yard
-2nd light fabric (or dark fabric): 2/3 yard
-1st main color fabric: 3/4 yard
-2nd main fabric: 3/4 yard
total yardage: 4 1/2 yard.

Cutting your strips:
Middle accent fabric: cut 2 7" strips and 4-4" strips
1st light fabric: cut 4-6" and 4-5" strips
2nd light fabric: cut 4-6"strips
1st main color fabric: cut 4'7" strips
2nd main color fabric: cut 4-7" strips

Now its the fun part...putting it together!
1. Match up the front and the back of each same size strip
2. Sew each pair of strips together on one of the sides, using 1/2" to 5/8" seams
3. After each pairs are sewed together, sew all of the strips together in the order of your choice, and make sure you keep the seams facing the same side of the quilt. Sew the outer edge of the quilt leaving the same amount of seam allowance
4. Clip the seams allowance. The closer you clip, the more the seams will fray
5. Wash and dry to have the quilt fray (which in our picture, that has not been done yet)

Easy, Right?!

7 comments:

  1. That is really cute. You make it seem easy! I've had a sewing maching sitting in a box since Christmas. Maybe I should attempt this...it could be a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh myy i love it!!!!!!!!!! those are the exact colors I choose for our baby! haahhaha Very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is so cute! I need to start sewing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute Crystal. You are becomimg so....domestic! :) You should come visit for a while and help me make a big one. Do you think we could make a cute one for Kaitlyn or do they look too babyish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that! When I come home will you teach me how to do it? I wanna make one for Kloie!

    ReplyDelete