August 14, 2009

Matt's 24th Birthday

Yesterday Matt got another year older and, as he would say, another year better looking! I forgot what an old man I married! 24 years old and still kicking! I made him breakfast in bed (what a good wifey!) and we started talking about all the things he had done with his life up to this birthday. I asked him if he had done everything he had wanted to do before he was 24. He responded with a smile and by telling me that he had never been skydiving. He was probably joking, but I thought it was a brilliant idea! I figured the day of his 24th birthday would still count, right?!

I looked at him and said "Lets go!" He thought I was joking and figured we'd have to make an appointment weeks in advance to go. Well I quickly searched for a skydiving place in Utah and found "Skydive Utah" who just happened to have an appointment at noon. I booked the appointment and within the next hour we were on our way to Tooele!

After a quick drive to Tooele County Airport, we were led to a room where they showed us a quick video explaining our jump and the waiver that we would be signing. That video almost changed my mind about going. They sure know how to scare you about all the things that could go wrong. They showed ambulances taking people away and the possibility of death and wills and what not... I don't know about Matt but I was a little shook up, but that didn't stop us!!

We were so excited to go and then we had weather delay. I dont know what it is but whenever i do something that deals with a plane i ALWAYS have a delay of some sort. We ended up not even being able to jump until about 4:00 they suited us up.





We finally were loaded into the tiny airplane and as we were climbing to the height we were jumping at I started to get a little nervous and was getting scared I wouldnt remember the things I had to do.
We had someone attached to our back of course but we had 3 rules that we had to do ourselves. 1. Breath 2. Bellybutton 3. Banana
These rules are for when take the leap of faith and jump from the plane 13000 feet in the air. Breath through your teeth, jump bellybutton first with your head back and arch your back, sounds easy enough, right?! Matt did awesome and almost remembered everything he had to do. Me on the other hand, I was told I had perfect form, but then I watched the video of me and apparently I thought it was a race to get down since I was kicking me feet after we jumped. It must have been panic mode or something!

Matt and Fish Flying






Me and Phil finishing off our backflip out of the plane




You really don't know what to expect when you're plummeting to your death but you cant breath at all with the wind coming so fast. Im sure I looked terrified in the video/pictures but it actually was one of my favorite experiences ever! I'd do it all over again! We had to get the package with video and pictures since you only skydiving your first time once!! Just remember...the pictures/videos are not the most flattering!

Us with our awesome instructors


We'll have to post the videos of us later since its not working!

Afterwards we went to dinner with my mom to Cheesecake Factory...sooo good! We didnt have a chance to change or anything so Im sure we looked a little rough around the edges :)

Im so happy Matt had fun on his birthday and we were able to do something spontaneous together! I think we're going to start a tradition for his birthday to try something he's never done before!

Happy Birthday Matt, I love you!!!

4 comments:

  1. I always wanted to go skydiving. I am glad you had fun!! Happy Belated b-day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are crazy!! I'm glad you had such a memorable birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hands are sweating just thinking about it! Glad Matt had a fun b-day. Can't wait to see you on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! how excited! I'm crazy jealous right now, but someday, someday I'll go :)

    ReplyDelete